- Frequently Asked Questions
- What are typical long term care costs?
What are typical long term care costs?
The average costs for long term care in the United States (in 2010) were:
- $205 per day or $6,235 per month for a semi-private room in a nursing home
- $229 per day or $6,965 per month for a private room in a nursing home
- $3,293 per month for care in an assisted living facility (for a one-bedroom unit)
- $21 per hour for a home health aide
- $19 per hour for homemaker services
- $67 per day for services in an adult day health care center
However, the costs of long term care greatly vary based on time of day in home caregivers are needed (higher during evenings, weekends, and holidays), amount of care needed in a facility (such as whether a person lives independently in an assisted living home or needs help with daily activities), and location (state, city, or even placement on the facility grounds).