- Frequently Asked Questions
- What are causes of dementia?
What are causes of dementia?
There are many factors that cause dementia in different patients:
- Diseases such as Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s, or Huntington’s that cause degeneration or loss of nerve cells in the brain
- Diseases or conditions such as a stroke that affect blood vessels
- Toxic reactions to excessive drugs or alcohol usage
- Nutritional deficiencies like not having enough B12
- Having an infection that affects the brain or spinal chord
- An accumulation of fluid in the brain that can result from developmental abnormalities, infections, injury, or brain tumors
- A head injury, whether severe or ongoing (such as in the sport of boxing)
- Kidney, liver, and lung diseases, can all lead to dementia.